Tuesday, November 12, 2013
ENOLA, Pa. (AP) — State police say a fire that burned a landmark central Pennsylvania restaurant was accidental, and likely started in an exhaust fan above the women's restroom.
Visaggio's restaurant in Silver Spring Township, Cumberland County earned national acclaim for its Italian cuisine. The restaurant, originally named the Wonder Why when previous owners opened it in 1980, was built in a former barn.
The fire broke out in the kitchen area of the family-owned restaurant while it was closed on Sunday evening. A banquet hall area was damaged by smoke and water, but not destroyed.
The family that owns the restaurant plans to rebuild, a process that could take three to six months.
The barn that housed the restaurant was damaged, its kitchen destroyed and an attached hotel was also damaged.